COVID-19 Plan of Action – Updated 3.15.2020
Dear Friends, Residents, Associates & Family Members,
I’m Michael Mays, President of Greenbrier Senior Living, the management company of your loved one’s senior living community. I’d like to take a few moments to update you on our plan to address the COVID-19 virus. While there is still much about the spread of COVID-19 that is unknown, there is a heightened sensitivity and awareness to the risk it presents to older adults as well as those with compromised immune systems. Please know, caring for our residents and associates remains our highest priority and we are taking proactive measures to ensure we mitigate the risk of transmission.
We are managing this ever-changing health crisis with the gravity it deserves. We have the utmost regard for the rights of our residents, associates and family members; however, due to President Trump’s declaration of a National Emergency, we are greatly enhancing precautions with our communities.
We have limited communal activities among our residents as much as is practical. We have posted and will be updating on our community’s websites and Facebook pages with a detailed plan of action as well as suggestions as to how you as family members, friends and the public at large can help support our efforts.
Thank you for your understanding.
Ensuring the health of our residents and associates is our highest priority. As such, we are following the recommended guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and monitoring the CDC for news and developments related to COVID-19 (coronavirus).
According to the CDC, the risk for our resident population is high. For the health of our residents, their family members and our associates, we have significantly stepped up our flu virus prevention protocols.
• On March 13, 2020, President Trump declared a National State of Emergency over the Coronavirus outbreak. In light of this announcement, we have stopped all non-essential visitation. Only essential vendors and healthcare workers can enter the community after they have completed an in-depth questionnaire and passed our screening procedures.
• We are providing families and visitors the ability to communicate with their loved ones via phone, facetime, skype, or other electronic video communication.
• We are postponing or canceling all external community vendors that provide activities within the community until further notice. This includes family nights and other large events.
• We have met with our residents and will continue to conduct regular ongoing education meetings.
• We are updating our community webpages on a regular basis with regards to changes in protocol and other developments that may affect how we operate.
Screening & Appointments:
• We have expanded our regular screenings of residents, staff, and essential visitors to include both temperatures and pulse oxygen readings.
• New residents are screened per state guidelines and asked questions to ensure they have not visited affected areas or exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
• We are working with our residents and rescheduling non-emergency medical appointments.
• Our associates have been retrained on infection control measures such as handwashing and infection control best practices.
• Daily and more often as necessary wipe down of the community common areas and high touch areas has been implemented.
• Each community inventory of supplies is being documented and monitored by the home office with extra supplies procured by each community and back-up supplies maintained at the home office.
• We have been and will continue to participate in local, state and company training calls as they are scheduled. Education and training will be provided as updates occur.
• We have established a new Safety Officer and Safety Assistant to provide oversight that protocols are followed on each shift and documented.
• Greenbrier Senior Living’s Corporate Director of Clinical Services is acting as the company compliance officer and is monitoring daily changes in recommendations from the CDC and local community agencies.
• All of Greenbrier’s home office support staff inclusive of regional sales and operations directors, are providing support to the communities any day to day issues that may arise.
We thank you for your assistance and participation in taking precautionary measures for our residents and associates, as well as yourself. Infection control takes a partnership to help keep everyone safe and well! If you have any additional questions or concerns, please call our Resident & Family Care Line at 833-379-7475.